Filed under: Amy, Motivation
I feel like I’ve been getting the same message over and over in the past 24 hours. I was talking to my amazing group of mastermind business women yesterday, and we were discussing how we often get so busy, that we think that we can never take a vacation. So many of us on the call just don’t leave for more than a day or two at a time because we feel like we can’t.
When I first opened Fit in 60 Pilates and Barre, I didn’t take a vacation for almost the first year and a half in business. When I was in corporate America, I had five weeks of vacation a year, and used every day of vacation every year!
But as a business owner, I often feel like:
There isn’t enough time.
What if something bad happens while I’m gone?
But then I start to feel stagnant and uninspired. And in a business where my job is to inspire other women – that really becomes unacceptable, and ultimately harms my clients. When I go on vacation, I walk back refreshed, and ready to tackle new things, host fun events, offer a new type of class – everything.
So, here I am this morning, doing a few last minutes of work before I leave for a week of reading books by the pool (my favorite vacation activity), and what do I see on Facebook?
Ellie Pope, the founder of Productivity Poolside (which focuses on increasing productivity in business owners through finding our more natural work and body rhythms said, “Treat yourself like gold, and you’ll get so much more done.” WOW!! That really said something to me. But, then what she said after was SOOOOO profound.
“Most of us are our own worst boss. And it’s ironic how many people leave a lousy boss in the corporate world, only to be an even worse boss to themselves.”
How true is that???? We start our own businesses and become complete workaholics. I know so many women who do it!
My business mentor, Allison Maslan, is always talking about balance, and in order to run a successful business, you have to make time for the things that feed you. She runs a tremendously successful business, but yet she still makes time to see a personal trainer and do her favorite activity – the trapeze – each week.
But here I am, I own a fitness business, and it is a struggle to get in three classes a week. What does that say about how much I value myself???? My sanity???
As I leave on vacation in about an hour, I can say, “I did good. I got one more thing done this morning.” But I can also say that the universe was definitely telling me, “It’s time for that vacation.”
What do YOU need to do for yourself that you have been putting off that you can commit to doing in the month of October? I want to hear!
Filed under: Barre, Events, Motivation
It’s that time of year again. We’re starting to see the hints of fall, with weather cooling off a bit, Christmas decorations popping up in the stores, and kids going back to school!
So with that, it means the holidays are coming, as are the holiday parties! If you’re like most San Diego women, you want to look great and lose weight before the holidays! So to help you reach your goals, we are launching our Fit in 60 Challenge! Earn prizes for taking classes, losing weight, and toning up!
It starts on Monday, September 23rd and the rules are simple. Take 40 classes in 60 days and earn a goodie bag full of prizes!
Thank you to Mistral for their donation of a grand prize spa basket for the winner with the most classes!
If YOU are looking to lose weight and look great for the holidays, join us at the barre in Carlsbad or Carmel Valley for our Fit in 60 Challenge at Fit in 60 Pilates and Barre!
Filed under: Nutrition, Weight Loss Tips
If you’re looking to lose weight in San Diego, consider upping your lemon intake! Organic lemon with hot water is believed to help the body better process waste and toxins.
In his book, “Back to Eden,” Jethro Kloss describes the benefits of lemon water – relieving symptoms of indigestion, heartburn, bloating, gas, and cramping. It also helps with constipation and dissolves the uric acid and other poisons and toxins in the liver.
And although it is an acidic fruit, when added to hot water and taken into your body, the lemon water actually helps alkalize YOUR body, helping reduce disease.
But also, the lemon water makes you think you are more full! More often than not, we are actually thirsty when we think we are hungry. So, if you have a large glass of hot lemon water, you’ll help clean out your body, while being more full, all at the same time.
Note: Use ORGANIC lemons. They are not terribly expensive, and you do not want to put the pesticides in the body. Secondly, please thoroughly wash the lemons. Again, if you’re going to put the lemons in the water you are going to drink, it is important to reduce the bacteria as much as possible!
So, if you’re looking for one quick, easy tip to help supercharge your weight loss, down a BIG glass of hot lemon water before you walk out the door for your barre class! We can’t wait to see you at Fit in 60 Pilates and Barre to help you with YOUR weight loss goals!
Filed under: Amy, Weight Loss Tips
I LOVE summer! It is my favorite time of year. I grew up in Indiana, so by the time summer rolled around, the long days, the warm weather, and the fact that we had all just been cooped up inside for months made this the absolute best time of the year. But with summer, there come family vacations, changes of routines, and eating on the road. Here’s three quick and easy tips to help you get through the summer without derailing your health and fitness habits.
- Pack your own food for the airport, plane, or car. As you travel, one of the things that people often enjoy most is trying the different food specialties around the world. You wouldn’t dream of going to Italy and not having the pasta. I wouldn’t dream of going to Chicago and not having pizza or Italian beef. As I sit at a table and savor the experience of my trip, I often feel that every calorie is worth it. However, the chips, nuts, cookies, and all the other snacks that are served on a plane now offer very little nutritional value, and most of the food in airports are fast food restaurants that you could probably skip and never miss anything. Everything is about balance. Enjoy what you love, but skip the extra calories that you really aren’t savoring!
- Get a little bit of exercise any time you can. We often think that if we can’t get to the gym for an hour plus sweat session that it isn’t worth our time. Most people in Europe don’t really go to gyms or schedule a ton of exercise, but they use public transportation and walk almost everywhere! They are literally “sneaking” in 10-20 minute exercise walks six to eight times a day. Go out and walk around the city you are visiting. Go walk around the airport while you’re waiting for your plane. Take the stairs vs. the elevator. Use a bathroom sink as a barre and plie as you brush your teeth. Every step or activity adds up to calories burned and weight lost.
- Hydrate. When we travel, we often get out of our routines! We get busy and don’t do some of the simplest things to improve our health. Often, we are thirsty (and dehydrated) when we think we are hungry. When you get on a plane, you seem to get even more bloated and dehydrated. Rather than sugary drinks, ask your flight attendant for a cup of water 4-5 times throughout your flight. Start a meal at a restaurant with a big glass of water. Bring your own (empty) water bottle to the airport and fill it up after security at one of the water fountains. Just stay hydrated. You’ll feel better, eat less, and keep your body properly flushing out its waste.
As you go into summer, this is a time of fun, family, and adventure. Your routines will be hard to keep, but by doing just a few good (small) things for yourself, you can avoid weight creep and not feel left out or deprived. Summer weight loss is just a few simple steps away!
Filed under: Motivation, Our team
We are so excited to be expanding! The first step in becoming a Fit in 60 Instructor is to complete our Barre Certification. After completing the barre certification, you will have the ability to add on Strengthen and Lengthen, Cardio Ballet, or any of our other upcoming programs.
We will be hosting the certification weekend on June 8th and 9th from noon to 6 pm each day. This will include a two hour anatomy and kinesiology program, as well as teaching you the exercises and how to teach the exercises.
After the completion of the program, you will be required to complete a test out video. After passing your video, you will go through our mentorship program and demonstrate the ability to teach prior to teaching your first class!
If you are interested, please email us at [email protected] and we will schedule a time to discuss the opportunity further!
Filed under: Barre, Motivation, Nutrition
Here we go – May means one thing (actually a few things), but one in
particular – wedding season is upon us!
If you are nearing your big day, here’s three tips for looking your best for all those photos! (Here’s one of me with my GORGEOUS sister in law, Miriam, on her wedding day.)
1. Improve your posture! When you carry your body tall, with your shoulders back and your abdomen in, you look longer, leaner, and more self confident – which makes for better pictures and a look that you’ll be proud of for years to come. Pilates and barre are both great for improving your posture. At Fit in 60 Pilates and Barre, we are constantly reminding you to pull your navel into your spine. We’re reminding you to pull your shoulders down your back and show off your proud chest. By working these muscles – your entire core – you will automatically carry yourself taller and thinner!
2. Stop eating JUNK! I know this is a toughie! But give it JUST two to three weeks without refined carbohydrates and sugar. Try to eat as much protein, fruits, and vegetables as you can – avoiding those foods that drain your energy, and cause your body to hold excess weight.
3. Banish the bloat! Those last two weeks before the wedding, really try to reduce your salt, sugar, and soda intake. Trade it out for green tea and/or lemon water. Each of these will help your body process more quickly and help keep you better hydrated. I know it is tempting to eliminate beverages, but know that when you are dehydrated, your body actually HANGS on to water weight more than it does when it is properly hydrated!
Finally – our last tip for looking your best in your wedding photos – Feel Great About Yourself! Most men will tell you that one of the sexiest things about a woman is self confidence! Your wedding day will FLY by! Have some fun! Focus on remembering as much about the day as you can! Just know that your future spouse CHOSE you! He thinks you’re beautiful! Own it and have a fabulous wedding day!
Filed under: Events, Home
I just can’t believe it! I opened the Carlsbad studio in May 2010 – and here we are three years later. It has been such a great three years.
I have met so many amazing women, and feel like I have developed some wonderful friendships.
I hope that we have impacted just a few lives positively and helped you find something in yourself that you love and are proud of!
When we first opened, we only offered one type of barre class. We are so excited to have grown and expanded and now offer barre, pilates, yoga, piloxing, dance, and so much more!
In celebration of our three year anniversary, we invite you to our Anniversary Celebration weekend at both Fit in 60 Carlsbad and Fit in 60 Carmel Valley.
Anniversary Weekend – Fit in 60 Carmel Valley and Fit in 60 Carlsbad
SATURDAY MAY 18th and SUNDAY MAY 19th
TWO DAY ONLY PACKAGE SPECIALS
Cupcakes and Champagne
Join us for:
Strengthen and Lengthen
Pilates Apparatus (in the Carlsbad studio)
All classes are free! Reservations strongly recommended. Bring a friend and show them how much more fun it is to work out with a buddy at the barre! We can’t wait to see you at the ballet barre on May 18th and 19th!
Filed under: Our team
I broke up with my boyfriend of 10 years, sold my Pilates business, packed my stuff and drove from Detroit to San Diego in less than 2 weeks. I knew only 2 people in the state, had no job lined up, and didn’t have a plan besides having fun. I met Amy from a craigslist ad about one month after arriving in San Diego. Honestly, I was having a little too much fun to hold down a “real” job and even showing up to teach barre sometimes was a hangover… I mean a struggle. Meeting Amy was a pivotal moment for me living in Southern California. She has given me infinite amounts of wisdom, strength, and love. I am thankful to be a part of her SoCal family!
Teaching barre and being a part of the Fit in 60 team (clients included on our team!) has been the most amazing experience for me. Our studios radiate awesomeness before you even put on your sticky socks. We have TONS of powerful females that never cease to amaze with their dedication, thoughtfulness, passion, and intelligence. The positive, sweaty energy pouring out of our studios is better than shots of Patron at the club on Saturday night. All of my best friends, who I now consider my family, have worked at or been a client of our studios at some point in time. I like to think we change lives while sculpting asses and feel extremely grateful and blessed to be a part of something truly transforming.
Being a barrefly means I have been a barre whore and have tried every barre studio/method out there. Our studios are the best! You know you are a Fit in 60 addict when:
- You carry sticky socks in your purse at all times.
- You find yourself doing a chair in your kitchen using your counter as a barre.
- You don’t look at pretzels as a snack.
- You crave being so sore it hurts to drive to work.
- Ke$ha songs make you want to dance, but in a 2nd to passé sort of way.
- Workouts that require shoes seem odd.
- Passing out at the barre now means you are in foldover struggling to keep your head on the barre while shaking like an 8.7 earthquake.
- Counting down from 10 annoys you.
- Guys tell you about their WOD/Insanity/Navy Seal workout and you roll your eyes and try to get them to class. A little calorie burn mixed with a little S&M!
10. You cheat on us with another barre method and then feel like you need to run for an hour to get the same workout. Oh yeah, that’s why you come to our studios J!
Thank you to everyone at Fit in 60 who makes our studios truly special!
Filed under: Home, Motivation
Fit in 60 Pilates and Barre was created to be a safe and happy place! A place of joy, encouragement and motivation.
Yesterday, Wendy and I did something unusual – we BOTH took the day off, we left our technology at home, and we went out to celebrate her birthday. As we lay by the pool and sipped wine and sparkling water, we just chatted – a lot about who we are and how we each got here. We talked about our parents, and our experiences growing up. We talked about our jobs that we had before, and how they contributed to us being here today. We talked about who we want to be 20 years from now.
We just sat together at the pool at South Coast Winery and enjoyed a day of BEING – not doing!!!
Birthdays are such a great time to revisit this. Who are you? Are you who you want to be? Are you doing what you love? Does anyone in your life challenge you to be better? Does anyone tell you that they love you just for who you are?
Today, I would like to challenge you to ask yourself – Who are you? Why are YOU here? Who are YOU meant to touch each day?
We can be a barre and pilates studio. We can be a group of San Diego women who motivate you to work out, take barre class, or lose weight. Or we can be a group of women who make a difference in someone’s life!
To Wendy, I’m here in large part because of the difference you’ve made in my life. Happy birthday beautiful friend. I’m glad I know you!
Filed under: Motivation
The Boston Marathon – a celebration of strength, hard work, accomplishments, sacrifice… Up until last week when I would think of these events – all I could think of is the word celebration.
And then in a moment – something that I viewed as a celebration became an event of sadness, terror, and hatred. I don’t understand how any person could have so much hatred for people (they don’t even know) that they are willing to harm or kill them. I don’t know that I ever will.
There was something I heard on the radio last Tuesday that just made me cry. The comic, Patton Oswalt had written a letter about his thoughts on the Boston bombing. And the crux of it is that in the horror, we often have this immediate feeling of despair. However, when you look at the footage and hear the stories of that day, you see and hear how many people ran TOWARD the bombs to try to help others.
As fitness instructors, Wendy and I discuss all the time that our job is not just to improve bodies. It is really to motivate and encourage those we come into contact with. You can go to any barre class or any fitness studio. Fit in 60 is about motivating you, encouraging you, and providing you a place of acceptance (no matter the size, color, income bracket). We are about providing you a place of community – somewhere that you can go and find someone with similarities, as well as differences – and maybe make some new friends along the way.
In the aftermath of the sadness and disbelief of last week’s happenings, it coincidentally happens to be National Pay It Forward day! This represents me, but it is honestly the crux of who Wendy is as a person.
What better way to look hatred and evil in the eye and do something to reverse the tide. So, on Thursday, April 25th, please think about this. (And who am I kidding – shouldn’t we live like this every day?) As you are walking around San Diego, look for something you can do to help someone else. Buy someone a cup of coffee. Bring someone to class and encourage them! Leave a kind note on someone’s car. Help someone in need. Take someone to lunch and ask them more about themselves. Just do SOMETHING that will lift someone up and have an impact. Let’s change San Diego one nice thing at a time!